Saturday, June 13, 2009

Internet Safety Doing Portion

I did the doing portion of the Internet Safety assignment with my little brother that just graduated high school two weeks ago. It was not a hard topic for us to talk about it was really interesting and i think that we both learned a lot form eachother. We both found it very valuable not only because of the information that we were able to discuss but also because we were able to spend that time together learning from eachother. It was really interesting to talk to him about this topic because it is just something we have never discussed before and he had more opinions about the topic then I thought he would. I feel that it was a really positive experience for both of us to talk about. I also think it was good for him because he is preparing to go on a mission and I shared some of the resources I enjoyed with him and he told me that Elder Bednars talk was particularly informative and helpful to him. We talked a lot about how glad he was that our parents kept the computer in an area in the house that was high traffic and how that eliminated any tempting situations. We also talked about how he knows some of his friends thats parents have not taken that precaution and it proved to be a problem. He also talked about how he thinks that things like facebook and myspace are a way for people to falsely protray themselves in a spiritual way. He told me that he thought people tried to be a lot different on the internet and he said it seemed they felt safer to be worse people in a way. I talked to him about how important technology and the internet is but how we need to use it for good. I told him about how slowly it can corrupt your life and you have to fight it every day. Not allowing things to come into your life that are even a little degrading to your spirit because the next time you go to watch something it is not going to seem as bad and it can only go down hill from there. He agreed with me on that one. This assignment made me realize that my little brother is a lot more mature than I thought and it made me realize that he is growing into a strong spirited young man. I loved doing this assignment with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment